Thursday, December 28, 2017

The Good and The Bad (About Holidays)



Relationships are what can make the Holidays Good, bad or sad. On Friday, December 22 I was driving from my Home in Virginia to my parents in North Carolina. A common road I take i passed a road I drove many times in 2015. In 2015 my best friend was battling cancer and I would visit him at UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill, NC. Friday, as I passed that road, the tears began to fall. He died on May 29, 2016. He was my best friend since High school and just when you think you are over something or someone the Holidays always get you.

The desire to distance ourselves from family and friends can be very tempting in an effort to avoid this inconvenient and unpleasant emotions. But I want to make a statement of caution here.

If we refuse to have relationships during our lifetime then what do we really have? Yes, we avoid, pain, heartbreak, anger etc. because no one can hurt us. But we are also missing out on love, support, encouragement and blessing be retreating from those around us.

I would give anything to have my best friend back. He was my cheerleader and I could use a good cheerleader right now. But I do not regret having him in my life despite the grief I feel with him gone.

On Christmas day this year I learned a fellow CBF pastor and his family lost their home to a devastating fire. In addition the pastor's wife died and his oldest daughter is fighting sever burns and smoke inhalation at UNC's burn center.  This is a family that has suffered great loss and I cannot even imagine the pain. But in the midst of this pain they have a church that is responding in love and support for their pastor and his family.

It is only through relationships that we can receive the love of God through those we have relationships with.

Is there anyone you need to reconcile with? Do it before next Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment