Wednesday, July 3, 2013

In the Middle





Many of you are probably familiar with the show "Malcolm in the Middle" it is about a boy labeled a genius growing up in a dysfunctional family.

Right now I feel like Malcolm living in a dysfunctional country. It doesn't feel good. I am beginning to feel the weight of this war on women, because I am a woman.

As a female minister I have known and heard the words of disdain because I dare to preach the gospel while being a woman. It should be no surprise that among the religious conservative Christians I am seen as living outside the teachings of scripture when I preach and teach men. I have known this but have sought company with like minded Christians who support my call to Christian ministry and supported me by giving me opportunities to preach and employ me to minister and live out my call to Christian ministry. But last night I felt something I never felt before, disdain as a woman of faith, from the opposite side of religious conservatives.

I learned that groups who claim to support women and advocate for gender equality in this country don't like me either. They don't like me because I am a woman of faith. If I believe in a God then I am a victim of the oppression and tyranny of religion (there words) and I lack intelligence because I do not refute these beliefs and label them as false.


So here I am in the Middle
 
Feeling Oppressed.
 
 
It is not easy being a woman in Ministry and there are days, like yesterday, when I cry out to God as the Psalmist did asking for the destruction of my enemy.
 
I am tired. I am tired of being demeaned. I am tired of being dismissed. I am tired of being judged. I am simply tired of being oppressed because of my gender. For Christ sake, Paul said that no longer was there male or female, I am a new creation in Christ, one without gender, race or socioeconomic status. Why must we as a country fixate ourselves on distinction and labels? Why must we insist on judging and vilify people for what makes them different from ourselves?
 
I JUST DON'T GET IT!
 
Can we stop? Will you stop it?
 
 
I am Adele Henderson
 
 
I love God
 
 
I live my life in response to Jesus Christ
 
 
I am tired of being oppressed for the fact that I am these three things inside a female body.
 
 
I just want it to end.
 
 
 
If it will not end I take comfort in the following words from Jesus:
 
 
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me." "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great ; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."  Matthew 5: 11 - 12   

No comments:

Post a Comment