Monday, May 5, 2014

Lenten Reflections




We are already passed the 3rd Sunday in Easter and I am just getting to my thoughts on Lent 2014. It has been some time since my last post and I think my followers for allowing me the time to connect with God, people in the flesh and time to figure out where I was going with this blog.

For lent this year I gave up all social media. No Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.

IT WAS AWESOME!

The lack of stress I felt for 40 days was so liberating and I could not stop smiling. I was happier than...I can't even remember when I was that happy. Really sad that part is.

So what did I learn, what did God reveal to me as I abstained from online connections?

1 - Online connections are NOT connections. They are fake connections.

2 - Online connections give us a false since of connectedness to the greater world outside of the web.

3 - Real connection is talking to people face to face. Having meaningful conversations and really knowing what is going on in peoples lives. It is also talking to people on the phone. Hearing a voice is more of a connection than a message sent through Facebook.

4 - People don't scream when you are talking with them face to face. We all see people scream online. I don't like and I suspect no one else does either

5 - You can foster new relationships and deepen already existing ones when you really connect.

6 - This is what Christianity is all about; making connections and developing relationships. Jesus left us an amazing impression on the world and never used social media. How did he do that? He connected with people, developed relationships.

7 - Online activity leaves you feeling alone.

8 - Real connections leave you filling blessed with the people in your life.

Seeing as we are 3 weeks out from Easter you might be wondering, as I did why I waited so long to write my reflections on lent. Up until last night I wonder the same thing. It never felt right to write until I saw the video below. It is a wonderful affirmation that God is not only working in me but others and teaching us the same thing.

I think, no I know this is important. For life to get better, to become easier and for healing to occur in our country and this world we need to focus on connecting with people. We need to make new friendships and invest in the ones we have already.





No comments:

Post a Comment