Wednesday, May 15, 2013

2nd Anniversary

Two years ago today I was ordained to the Gospel ministry by Heritage Baptist Church in Wake Forest, NC. In an effort to clean and organize my office I was going through a large box of papers and came across the Charge to the Candidate. As I read it I realized, "Oh, today is the 2 year anniversary of my ordination. I share with you the charge my former pastor wrote and my dad's charge which he included when Dr. Altom was unable to be present for the service.

"MINISTRY IS ALL IN THE CALL"
Isaiah 40.31, 41.9b-10; Matthew 6.33

Adele, we know your name to be Cynthia Adele Henderson...we say it, read it, write it, email it and text it all the time. However, this afternoon on the occasion of your ordination to the Gospel ministry, this charge to ministry is a reminder that you have another name.

There is a call, a divine call, upon your life. Your name is "SERVANT." Living among the people of God...being in the world but not of the world...you are called to serve the living God, doing so in the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit. Your call is the firm foundation of ministry and your call influences all of your thoughts, words and actions. Some days, amid difficulties and disappointment and even joys and accomplishments, your call will be the only experience upon which you can rely. Acknowledging the human frailties and limitations that every person has, your dependence is on the presence of God in your life. Therefore,

  • You are called, first and foremost, to the Kingdom of God and a covenant relationship with the Almighty
  • You are called to face the future with faith, not fear
  • You are called to walk and run with God-given strength, not being overcome with weakness or weariness
  • You are called to live daily in the reality of God's unconditional and unchanging love. This love is not some innate ability within you: rather, this love is a gift to you. Because God first loved you and gave himself for you in the life, death and resurrection of his only son, your Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, you are able to love other people and thus, to serve.
Finally, please remember your call in light of these wonderful words, here quoted, that have been sung so often in the fellowship of the called at Campbell University Divinity School:

"Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart."

Adele, your real name in ministry is "SERVANT." You are called to serve by sharing God's love everyday! Your ministry is all in the call!"

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen!

Dr. Ken Altom

"MINISTRY IS ALL IN THE CALL", II

"I will hold your people in my heart." Adele, always hold people in your heart. I say this not because you need to start holding people in your heart, but because you are holding people in your heart, and have always done so, and I want to encourage you to keep on in that way of living.

As you have heard God's call, and have answered yes, I would encourage you to daily listen for his call, and always say yes. To help you I suggest that you have a time when you and God are alone, and you listen to Him.

Always remember what Ken has said to both you and me, "When all have forsaken you, all you have is your call, and then you will realize, that is all you really need.

Adele, as a father and a minister, I charge you to put Christ first in your life, study the scriptures faithfully, and minister to all who meet you.

These two witness' are not just for Adele, but for all of us.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen!

The Reverend Randell Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment