Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Common Good (Part 1)

"This is the rule of most perfect Christianity, its most exact definition, its highest point, namely, the seeking of the common good...for nothing can so make a person an imitator of
Christ as caring for neighbors."  --John Chrysostom (ca. 347-407)
Two weeks ago I posted my response to the massacre at Sandy, Prayer in Schools, Video Games, Gun Control, Fear, Grief and Love. That same week I read an article on the Huffington post about making resolutions from a place of love. In this article was the quote above and three words caught my eye, "The Common Good." From this stand point I will begin a series on this topic, "The Common Good." I will address some of the issues in my article on Sandy Hook as well as other topics that are currently in the forefront of America right now. My goal is for us to explore what it means for us to live a life that serves the common good. Some topics to be address are:
Church and State
Health Care
Gun Control
Equality
Human Trafficking
and possibly more.
I invite you on this journey with me as we look to the scriptures ad acquaint ourselves with stories of people in our country and around the world and really talk about and discover what does it mean to live a life that serves the common good. I hope each week people will share their thoughts on this blog. I believe that communication can be a catalyst to the change we would like to make within ourselves that will in turn effect the communities in which we live.
So what do you think of the topics I listed? Are there any others you would like to see addresses? I look forward to reading your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment