Thursday, January 16, 2014

Carpe Diem

Last night I learned that another friend from High School passed away. He was 40 and died from a stroke. I say another because in the 22 years since I graduated high school somewhere between 10 and 15, (I have lost count) have died to soon and to young. I just can't get use to it. Death has never been an easy thing for me. I want everyone to have a long, full and happy life, but that is just not the case. I could let the loss of so many friends get me down and stay in a rut or I could honor their lives by living fully, by seizing the day, Carpe Diem.

Reflecting on their lives I always thank God for my life. I may complain about the pains of growing old but I will never complain about growing old. Every birthday is a day to celebrate another year of life, another gift from God. In fact, everyday is a gift from God. We are never promised more than the day we have right now. What better reason to live fully into that day, live with no regrets, acknowledging that it could be my last day here on earth.

Today I will live and reflect, giving thanks for my friendship with Ben and giving thanks for the breath God has given me. How will you live fully today? Will you give God thanks for the gift of today? I hope you do.


Time Dispatch in Richmond, VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment